Last of the Monster Kids

Last of the Monster Kids
"LAST OF THE MONSTER KIDS" - Available Now on the Amazon Kindle Marketplace!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bangers n' Mash 38: Witches

If it wasn't immediately apparent, my podcast co-host, Mr. Mash aka JD, is a dear friend of mine. I can honestly say he's my best friend, probably. The two of us have a lot in common and our mutual love of horror and comic books has given us enough material for 38 episodes of the Bangers n' Mash Show. (And will certainly provide enough material for many more.)

However, it's fair to say I'm a much more serious film fan then JD is. There are many genres I've explored that my co-host wouldn't be willing to. Silent cinema, for one. Foreign language films for another. I've tried to make in-roads but haven't had much success. It's frustrating. Living in the part of the country I do, (Here's a hint: It's rural.) I wish I had more friends interested in the same weird shit I like. Anyway, one of the topics I've been trying to break to Mr. Mash without much luck is Italian horror. I know it's not for everyone but I continue to believe that, if he gave the sub-genre a try, he would find some things he'd like.

For a while now, Mr. Mash has been wanting to do an episode about witches. It's a personal fetish of his. I don't mind using that word "fetish" because the attraction is pretty blatantly sexual for him. I can say this because I'm fairly certain no one will read this. JD has got a serious thing for chicks with special powers, whether they be supernatural or psychic in nature. Thus his life-long crush on Jean Grey and Willow from "Buffy." Feel free to read into that all you want.

Anyway, I was resistant to this for a while simply because I didn't think there were truly that many witch movies worth discussing. However, after thinking on it a bit I realized I could use this as his gateway into Italian horror. Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy feature, of course, a brood of evil witches as their antagonists. "Suspiria" also happens to be one of the most highly regarded Italian horror films of all time, if not the highest regarded. The experiment was, well... Not hugely successful but I think I have piqued his curiosity a little. Maybe we'll try some Fulci or Bava in the future? Maybe.

As for the episode itself, it's not our best effort. My brain was a bit scattered on the day we recorded and a lot of editing was required to cover up my stuttering and tripping. Secondly, I made the mistake of discussing several films my co-host hadn't seen in succession. I don't know what our tiny fanbase thinks but listening to myself drone on isn't the easiest or most entertaining thing to edit. It certainly took a lot of energy out of the show. That's also the reason why this took so long to get out. (Though the first episode coming out late in the month and me then rushing out the next episode is more or less standard protocol around here.) We'll do better next time. Probably.



Anyway, I'll put up another Godzilla review in a few hours so feel free to ignore this if you aren't a listener.

No comments: